5.29.2017

Maya Lin

Artist-Architect of Light and Lines

Christy Ottaviano Books
(Henry Holt and Company)
(pub. 5.2.2017)
32 pages

A True Tale with
A Cherry On Top  

A uthor: Jeanne Walker Harvey
      and illustrator: Dow Phumiruk

C haracter: Maya Lin

O
 verview from the jacket flap: 

     "You may be familiar with the iconic Vietnam Veterans Memorial, but do you know about the artist-architect who created this landmark?
     As a child, Maya Lin loved to study the spaces around her. She explored the forest in her backyard, observing woodland creatures, and used her house as a model to build tiny towns out of paper and scraps. The daughter of a clay artist and a poet, Maya grew up with art and learned to think with her hands as well as her mind. From her first experiments with light and lines to the height of her success nationwide, this is a the story of an inspiring American artist."    

T antalizing taste: 
      
"The first time Maya visited
the finished wall, she searched
for the name of the father of a friend.
When she touched the name, she cried,
just as she knew others would.

Thousands came that Veterans Day
to see and touch and remember.
Salutes, hands on hearts, honoring.
And every day since then,
visitors have done the same."
 
and something more: I cannnot begin to express my deep appreciation and admiration for everyone who has been involved in the creation of this book --  Deborah Warren of East West Literary Agency (my incredible agent who found a home, a perfect home, for my manuscript), Dow Phumiruk (the amazing illustrator who absolutely astounded me with her talent and perception), Christy Ottaviano (the publisher/editor who edited with the perfect gentle touch and allowed the book to blossom with her attention to detail and incredible talent and experience), and everyone else at Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt who contributed to the book. A picture book is truly a collaborative process, and so many people had a part in it. I truly feel as if I've won the literary lottery with the publication of this book -- it's more than I ever envisioned. 
    Thank you also to my dear family and friends who always support me and encourage me in my writing. I am honored and humbled to have had the opportunity to write this book about Maya Lin and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
    And today, Memorial Day, I learned from the National Mall NPS, that three new names are being dedicated today at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, bringing the total number of names to 58,318. My heartfelt thanks and appreciation and admiration to all who served.

2 comments:

Dow said...

I am so lucky to have been a part of this project!!

Jeanne Walker Harvey said...

Oh Dow! I feel exactly the same! Thank you for stopping by